This Just In: You’re Using Your Air Fryer All Wrong!
Air fryers are all the rage in kitchens across the globe —they’re earning their place on countertops and in cookbooks and are often the secret ingredient behind viral TikTok recipes. Whether you’re new to the airfryer craze or a seasoned expert, it’s possible that your airfryer abilities have yet to reach their full potential. While it’s true that air fryers have the word “fry” in the name, this term is a bit misleading when you break down the magic of these trendy accessories.
Your air fryer is a great tool when it comes to making healthier versions of traditionally fried foods, like onion rings, chicken wings, and mozzarella sticks, but its best kept secret is its similarity to a convection oven. This is why it’s the perfect kitchen appliance for roasting vegetables to add to your weeknight dinners, meal prepped lunches, and late night cravings.
Because air fryers are designed to function as more efficient convection ovens, circulating hot air in and around your food to cook it quickly at high temperatures, it’s the perfect device for roasting veggies. While throwing your frozen favorites in the fryer is no doubt one way to go, consider these simple steps for roasting your favorite vitamin-rich veggies in no time.
Whether you’re interested in crispy Brussels sprouts, aromatic onions, or killer sweet potato fries, follow these simple steps:
- Cut the vegetable into your desired shape and size
- Use your favorite nonstick cooking spray to coat the air fryer basket.
- Distribute the food evenly across the surface area of the basket.
- Spray the food with nonstick cooking spray or use an oil of your choice to coat the food.
- Season the veggies with your favorite flavors. You can’t go wrong with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Preheat the air fryer. In this case, the hotter the better!
- After ten minutes, shake the basket around to mix the veggies.
- Check on the veggies after 15 minutes. The ideal roast will leave your favorite greens crispy around the edges but tender inside. A blackening around the edges is a good indicator that they’re nearly done.
- Enjoy the perfect side to your main dish!
While such a desirable result and simple recipe would take almost an hour in the oven, you can effortlessly achieve a crispier, healthier, rendition with the help of your air fryer. We all know that weeknights are busy and extra time in the kitchen is hard to come by, but you’ll find yourself reaching for your air fryer to enjoy crispy Brussels sprouts, savory carrots, and perhaps a batch of kale chips for a salty midnight snack once you master the art of roasting veggies.
Admittedly, the air fryer is still the best appliance on the market when it comes to getting your frozen favorites just right, but consider mixing in some veggies every now and then to appreciate